Tuesday, January 26, 2010

the best mashed potatoes ever

So, after I made my Chickpea Potato Curry, I had a lot of left over potatoes, and decided I needed to use them before they went bad. I found a recipe on Campbell's website for Ultra Creamy Mashed Potatoes and then searched through my cookbooks for something good to go along with it and found a Cajun Chicken with Corn Salsa recipe. I decided to forgo the corn salsa, since I don't like corn, and make the chicken with the mashed potatoes as a side. Let me just say that these are the best mashed potatoes ever. Seriously. Sarah's reaction was "whoa!" and Chelsea couldn't stop eating them. They were pretty amazing. I did a few things of my own, so keep an eye out for alterations. The chicken was good too and easy, which was good since mashed potatoes from scratch take a little longer than instant, but it does help to have a potato peeler (much quicker than trying to use a knife)!


Cajun Chicken:

1. Super easy! Just cover it with cajun seasoning. I used Tony Chachere's. Be careful if you can't handle spicy.
2. The recipe book that I have said to grill it, but since I have no idea how to grill and pretty sure Chelsea would kill me for using hers, and didn't want to take the time to mess with a charcoal grill even if I did know how to use it, I just cooked it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil.
3. That's it for the chicken. Like I said, super easy!


Mashed Potatoes (be careful because these are going to change your life!)

3 & 1/2 cups of swanson chicken broth
5 large potatoes cut into 1-in. pieces (I used gold/yellow potatoes because that's what I had left over. Since they are kinda small I ended up using 7 instead of 5).
1/2 cup of light cream (HEB didn't have light so I just used heavy, which might have been why they were so great)
2 tbsp butter
black pepper (however much you want)

1. Heat the broth and potatoes in a 3 qt. saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil. I also added two cloves of garlic and added some seasoned salt while it was heating up/cooking.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and cover for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving the broth.
3. Mash (and I'm one of those people who doesn't like lumps in my mashed potatoes so I used an electric mixer) the potatoes (garlic and all) with 1/4 cup broth, cream, butter and pepper (and whatever spices you may want to add). Add additional broth if needed, until desired consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment