Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sesame Coated Tuna with Cilantro Salsa

I just have to say this wasn't the favorite thing that I've cooked. It wasn't bad, but it was really just ok. It was really lacking flavor. The recipe didn't say to put any spices on it and I didn't think to put any on before I rolled the tuna in the sesame seeds. It was ok, but again not my favorite. Also, I decided that it would be much easier to just buy pico de gallo from HEB instead of making it myself because it's pretty much the same concept but easier and probably better. So here is the recipe and pictures :)

Sesame-coated tuna with cilantro salsa:

4 tuna steaks (I just did 2 because turns out these are a little pricey...)
3/4 cup sesame seeds
3 handfuls baby arugula leaves (I left these out and used spinach instead)

Cilantro salsa:
1 large clove garlic, crushed
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying
1 tbsp. lime juice

Cut each tuna steak into three pieces. Place the sesame seeds on a sheet of baking paper. Roll the tuna in the sesame seeds to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

To make the salsa, place the garlic tomatoes, cilantro, oil, and lime juice in a bowl and mix together well. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Fill a heavy-bottomed frying pan to 1/2 in. (I didn't use that much) with the extra olive oil and place over high heat. (Be very careful, oil fights back and it got me on my eye-lid. Talk about painful.) Add the tuna in two patches and cook for 2 minutes each side (it should be pink in the center). Remove and drain on paper towels. To serve divide the arugula (or spinach in this case) among four serving plates and arrange the tuna over the top. Spoon the salsa on the side and serve immediately.

finished product

cilantro salsa

sesame coated tuna

No comments:

Post a Comment