Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back to School

Yup, it's time. Time to stop watching all of those SVU marathons and get back to work. Papers, tests and class here I come. So far I have two days of my last semester under my belt and it's looking good (and busy). Here's what has happened thus far. First, we got a dog. Really Sarah got the dog, but I'm just as excited about it. We don't know what kind he is, but he's super cute!


His name is Johann (pronounced the German way - like the musician) and we call him Jojo for short. It's been very entertaining watching him try and eat his tail and listen to Sarah practice her "happy voice."

Next, which actually occurred first, was the first Freedom of the semester. It was great to see friends and here about their Christmas break. I'm glad to be back sitting at the Chivvis's discussion table. They do a great job of facilitating discussion and ask questions that really make you think about what you're learning. I am very thankful for them :)

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day and still no school so I made a quick trip down to Houston to see my old youth pastor and family. They recently just moved up there for a new job so I got to see their new house and their boys, etc. It was great getting to catch up with Stephani and talk about their "new life" and getting ready for life after graduation. And we ate Chik-fil-A, which is always great :)

Ok, Tuesday is here, and it's the first day of classes. But first this day starts off with an attempt to run 20 miles. Since October I've been training for the Austin marathon so I didn't just decide to run 20 miles, I've been working myself up to this. I woke up at 4:30 and ate a lot and drank a lot of water to prepare. Then 5:25 I walk outside and it's hot and humid! Seriously! But I continue to psych myself up for this and head to the park to meet my running partner. We stretch and start off on our first loop. After 5 miles we get back to our water and are dying (when I came home and checked it was 90% humidity - sick!). My legs were not tired at all (I've already done 18 so it wasn't supposed to be too bad), but neither of us could breathe. We decided to call it quits and do it on Saturday when normal people do long runs and I headed home. Then (after a quick nap) I started getting ready for class and headed out. I'm taking 3 political science classes this semester and one last semester of Chinese.

So far my classes look like they'll be pretty interesting. I am going to be writing a lot of papers this semester, so that's exciting (note the sarcasm) but I don't have many tests so I guess they offset each other. Three out of four of my professors threatened to do everything they could to get us kicked out of the University for plagiarism, so that was pretty intense, and I had my first substitute professor in college. All of my classes seem like they'll all be pretty interesting which is a plus and I'm only taking 12 hours so it shouldn't be too bad. I am also thinking of taking a salsa dancing class at the rec. I already know how to do basic stuff, but I think it would fun and I have free time. The only problem is that it's during The Office so we'll have to make a decision on which I want more, to salsa or watch The Office. I have also picked up swimming (for my off days from running). I decided today that I really enjoy it. Maybe it's because I'm kind of tired of running, but I love it.

So that's been the last couple of days. School has begun, and I should actually be reading right now instead of blogging so off I go to get started on being productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment