Saturday, January 9, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Christmas

Actually, it's two weeks after Christmas. I'm not a good blogger (or tweeter, but we'll take this one step at a time) but I want to blog about my Christmas, even if it was a while ago.

One of my family traditions is to go see The Nutcracker. We've done this since I was 8 years old. We even saw it in New York City one year :) We get all dressed up and go up to Houston. It doesn't matter how many years we've gone to see this, we still can never seem to find the parking garage, or which section is closest to our theater, or how to get back on the highway back home, but we made it on time and really enjoyed it again. We also took our annual family photo by the giant Christmas tree.


On Christmas Eve, we watched the Charlie Brown Christmas, which is really funny. The first one, not so much, but the second one on the DVD is pretty hilarious. It's been years since I've watched it, and it's definitely not stuff you would pick up on when you're a kid, but watching it when you're older is quite entertaining. Check it out!


"I said 'hockey stick.' Why did I say 'hockey stick?' All I had to say was' Hark,' and I said 'hockey stick.' I ruined the whole Christmas play. Everybody hates me. Moses hates me. Luke hates me. The Apostles hate me! All 50 of them!"

Then we read the Christmas story, another Christmas tradition and the real reason my family celebrates the holiday. While all of these other traditions are great, and getting to spend family is great, it all pales in comparison to what God did for me out of His love for me. Reading of Mary's thankfulness to God for choosing her, and her faith in Him was a real encouragement to me this year.
46And Mary said:
"My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
Christmas Day consisted of sleeping in (and as a college student I'm very thankful for that) and starting off with the movie "The Christmas Story." It's unfortunate that movie is only appropriate during this time of year. Then we opened gifts (even our cat enjoyed this), had a great meal, and headed to see Sherlock Holmes (great movie!).


So that's my Christmas. I wasn't at home for very long, but it was definitely a sweet time with my family and getting a chance to relax and take a break from my hectic schedule of school and work to celebrate the birth of my Savior :)

13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14"Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

No comments:

Post a Comment