Monday, March 1, 2010

a Michael Scott experience

Let me just say eating a lot of carbs before a run is a bad idea...

for those of you who aren't familiar with the office here you go:


In my previous post I gave you the recipes for pizza and macaroni casserole that my roommates and I made for our roommate dinner. Shortly following our dinner (like 30 minutes later) Sarah and I headed off to campus to participate in a 5K fun run, GLOW, to help support an orphanage in Honduras (actually a real charity and not a race for the cure of rabies...). At first we decided to walk, because we had just eaten, but then for some unknown reason (actually I remember now, Texas weather is bipolar and it was freezing!!!) we decided to run.

And we start. After stocking up on some free emergen-c and checking in to get our shirt and number, we head off. 1st mile: done! And easy (it was my first real run back after my marathon and I was so glad to be back and in my new running shoes!)

Well, if you do watch The Office, and happen to see what happens to Michael later on during the run, you know it's not pretty. Combined with his carbo-loading, he also didn't drink any water. Similar to his experience, we drank Dr. Pepper beforehand with our dinner. Needless to say our stomachs hated us about a half mile later and it wasn't the best 3.1 miles ever run (although we did make pretty good time despite our amateur mistake...).

So word of advice, don't follow Michael Scott's example.

No comments:

Post a Comment